What is Metabolic Assessment?
"...the rate at which your body burns calories at rest."
Why is it so important?
- It is your own energy calculation, which is unique to you.
How do you measure this?
We use Breezing Mobile Indirect Calorimetry device to measure basal metabolic rate (BMR), the rate at which you burn calories in a fasted state.
- But can I just use the calculation I learned online? Or what about that number from MyFitnessPal?
Here is WHY you might be interested in knowing your BMR
- The Breezing device captures your oxygen in and carbon dioxide out
- By capturing both of these gases, we can provide your maximum oxygen rate (VO2)
As an athlete, VO2 provides a picture of your current level of fitness
In the practice of endurance running, we find many of our clients are undereating or what we call "underfueling."
How do you know if you are underfueling?
- Sketchy heart rates (very high or very low, or erratic spikes during workouts)
- Injuries that do not heal or frequent injuries
- Sickness that comes about often or lingers for a few weeks
- Decrease in the ability to improve in workouts
- General fatigue
Why do we use Breezing Metabolic Measurement?
Breezing was developed by scientists under the direction of founder Dr. Erica Forzani, at Arizona State University (ASU). A collaboration between the Breezing group and the developer of the most widely used caloric calculation, Mifflin St. Jeor, Dr. St. Jeor is where a mobile testing process along with a certification process known as The Black Bag (TM) was born!
Jill Mongene, RD, LDN is one of THREE initial practitioners Certified in Mobile Indirect Calorimeter and The Black Bag (TM) by ASU and Dr. St. Jeor.
If you were getting ready to set out to attain a goal, wouldn't you want your calorie numbers to be based on YOU and SCIENCE?
Under-eating is no fun. Trust me! As an athlete, I did it for years.
Metabolic Assessment – The Black Bag (TM)
Includes the following testing:
- Basal metabolic rate
- Fasting glucose
- Blood Pressure
- Segmental body fat and muscle content
- Grip Strength
After the test, a spreadsheet is provided with health markers documented for the participant.